The 2018 Graham Turnbull Essay Competition is named after English solicitor Graham Turnbull who did much to promote respect for human rights. Graham was killed in February 1997, aged 37, while working as a human rights monitor on the United Nations Human Rights Mission in Rwanda. The Society is proud to honour Graham’s commitment to human rights through this competition, which aims to encourage awareness and knowledge of international human rights issues and remedies among young lawyers.
“Is technology an opportunity or a threat for human rights lawyers? Does it increase or reduce risks for lawyers in carrying out their duties and in what circumstances might technology be used to mitigate such risks?”
The competition is open to all current or prospective law students, trainee solicitors, pupil barristers and all solicitors and barristers, within three years of admission/call at the closing date.
The Graham Turnbull Memorial Fund
The winner of the 2018 Graham Turnbull Essay Competition will receive £500 cash from the Graham Turnbull Memorial Fund.
Essays must be submitted by midnight on 15 November 2018.
- The 2018 Graham Turnbull Essay Competition is open to Law students, trainee solicitors, pupil barristers and junior lawyers (current, prospective or in-between stages) are invited to enter the Law Society’s annual Graham Turnbull essay competition.
- Entries should be a maximum of 2,000 words, including footnotes.
- Entries will be rejected if they do not address the subject of the title, or exceed 2,000 words.
- Proof of eligibility must be included with your essay.
- The winning essay will be chosen by a panel of distinguished judges. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Please remember that this is an international human rights competition and the judges will expect to read arguments based on international law
- The winners will be announced at the Graham Turnbull Lecture on 11 December 2018, 6-7:30pm at the Law Society.
- Download the full essay guidelines here.
- Please email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email your questions to email@example.com
Lawyer, writer and entrepreneur.